Saturday, March 26, 2011

3 Ways To Fix The Not So Perfect Fondant Icing



Using the Rolled Fondant Recipe I had, I tried making fondant from scratch. As I have said, it has been a year ago since I've made one. Well that was with supervision so I was not sure how my fondant will be turning out. I don't remember quite well how we did it last year and my memory is really really bad!

Apple+peels
http://flickrcc.bluemountains.net/flickrCC/

With the help of my friend, we prepared all the ingredients and materials that we needed. I started making the rolled fondant and followed the procedures step by step. (see recipe and procedure in previous blog)
1. Put gelatin and water in a small glass container in a small pan of boiling water.
2. Add glucose, glycerin and shortening.
3. Mix in powdered sugar, mix with wooden spoon then knead.
* be careful with the glass that you will put in the boiling water, it must be heatproof!

I thought I was doing well, I kneaded the fondant after mixing with the wooden spoon. When I started kneading the fondant, I thought so far so good. Then there were still a lot of powdered sugar in the table that was not incorporated to the fondant that I was kneading, but the fondant was getting tougher already. I tried remembering what we did in our class if we mixed all the powdered sugar in the recipe but I couldn't remember! So I thought about it. I said to myself, this was the one indicated in the recipe so I should follow it in detail.

After a perspiring 20 minutes of kneading, I have already incorporated all the powdered sugar in my fondant. I guess I shouldn't have mixed all the powdered sugar after all. The fondant was crumbly and it was breaking apart. Not the kind of fondant I saw when we made it in school! Not Play Doh consistency!

Anyway, we just kept this first and I tried to research what possible remedies that can be done for the not so perfect fondant. 

This is what i found out: Tips and Techniques in Making Fondant Icing!
1. If the fondant is crumbly, you can try putting a little amount of water until you get the right consistency
2. If the fondant is sticky, you can add a little powdered sugar to make it right
3. If the you have added too much sugar or if the fondant has started drying up because of too much air exposure, you can add a little vegetable shortening.

I used the third one. I tried adding more vegetable shortening and it did had a better consistency. But I think I put in too much that it became greasy! We were still able to use it though for practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment